hammer question

Big Daddy

This is from a write-up in the automotive forums regarding automotive shop tools, to include body tools. Look at the Eastwood catalog and do not waste your money on cheap tools. "The handle is the second most important part of the hammer. They come in wood (hickory or ash), fiberglass, and steel. The key to a good hammer is balance, a hammer with good balance is easier to use and less stressful on your joints and muscles. I myself prefer wood handles. I do not like fiberglass handles, and I hate steel handles. Wood handles provide great balance and are easy to customize to your grip if you desire to. Fiberglass handles are lightweight and strong, but do not offer the balance of a wood handle and are a pain to replace most of the time."

A fiberglas handle is stronger as Dan's article says. But I've also been told that it is slightly more flexible than a wooden handle, so the impact is just a bit easier on the hands, important if you use it alot. I have a fiberglas sledge hammer, and I do think the impact is a bit less jarring.