When do i wax?

Ive never waxed a car in my life. I dont even know how to do it

[ohcrap]
I have a clear coat on the outside, which i paid $800 through BMW for, and they said it last sumthing like 4 years i think.

So i wax even with my clear coat? [nono] or does this mean no waxing for me?
and uhh if i am suppose to wax.. how often

I thought if u wash ur car too much, you lose the shine, so why do u guys wash it liek every week?

What most people do not understand, is that "clear coat" is paint without a color pigment.

Clear coat will scratch, oxidize, etc, etc..., just like "regular paint".
As with "Anything" worth having, it is worth protecting:)

A polish and wax or sealant is "HIGHLY" recommended.
The reason? - Wax is what is called a "sacraficial layer", meaning, that the debris, fallout, etc, etc, that will harm your paint must "First" destroy the wax before it can start to erode your paint.

Think about it like this..., nothing lasts forever... not even "clear coat".
There is a myth that with clear coat, you do not need to protect the "paint"..., clear coat is "the paint"!!

If for no other reason than resale value.
I keep my cars looking new and always sell them for more than loan value because of the excellent condition they are in.
When people look for a car, if they find one that is in immaculate condition and very well taken care of, it is worth more than the same car that was used as a "beater" or never polished, waxed, oil changed, etc, etc.

Actually..., using the right products, it is quite easy if your paint is in good shape.

Waxing is as easy as wipe on, wait a minute, wipe off, if using Glanz Synthetic wax.

Polishing takes a little more patience, but is not a bad experience..., just takes a little longer, but if really worth the effort.

Before waxing or polishing, I recommend washing and claying..., it will make your finish that much "healthier and will make waxing and polishing easier in the process:)

Hope this helps...

Don't be confused by the clear coat. All cars come with a clearcoat, your dealership was just making shit up for some extra money.

Go to the store and pickup a bottle of wax and a few applicator pads.
Go home, wash your car (preferrably with Dawn dish soap to wash off any remaining old wax), and dry it thoroughly. Now you're ready to wax....poor a dime-size amount onto the applicator and rub the applicator onto the paint and watch how it spreads around. Apply the wax to all of your car's paint (meaning no windows, headlights, tail lights, etc.). Once you've applied wax to all over your car, give it a few minutes to haze over and then take a towel and buff off all the wax, and there ya go, you just waxed your car.
If you use a regular store-bought wax, you should wax every 4-6 weeks. Only wash your car with Dawn Dish soap whenever you are going to wax it...for all those washes in between, use a regular car wash soap that will not strip your wax.

ok, i dont get what u mean buff off the wax..

I dont own a buffing machine [:(]

And all this time i did wash with dawn dish soap.. sh!t thx for the advice

Name a good waxe product and a good car wash product :)

Buffing off the wax means to remove the dried "fillers" after it dried

Einszett makes a Synthetic wax called Glanz that is the easiest to apply and remove(also lasts much longer than a natural carnuba wax).

Perls is a great wash, it has brighteners and polymers for added protection and the ultimate gloss after a wash...,

Check out my web site for more info...

Here are some things I have learned about waxing. I am no expert but after a lot of practice I am happy with my results.

The first time you wax it will seem like a long time but you get faster with practice. I agree with the above instructions but suggest you wax then buff a segment of your car at a time (the hood, then the front fender, then the door, etc...). I find that wax is harder to buff if left too long. Also try a liquid product since it is much easier to apply than a paste (Meguiar's and Mother's make good ones, you can try higher end stuff too but wait until you know what you are doing). Klasse is my favorite liquid product (not really a wax though) and P21S is my favorite paste wax.

Very important: Wax in the shade, in the evening, or in the garage. You do not want to do this in direct sun or when the car is hot. Makes it very difficult.

You do not need a buffer (although it does make the job go faster). You do need some good quality soft cotton towels or microfiber towels to buff the wax. Do not buy cheap towels. They do make a big difference. Wayne can sell you these or you can try Griots Garage or Autogeek.net.

Waxing my cars has become fun. It's actually a Zen kind of thing spending a free afternoon making my car look perfect. After you learn to wax then you can become a fanatic about cleaning the wheels and the interior. Or not. Some of us are just a little too anal retentive for our own good. Have fun.

[driving2]

Hi guys...,

I am really excited!!
Waynestowels.com Microfiber "UP" towels are ZAINO APPROVED for the paint and "Glass Towels for the glass!!

We have been working hard to have the very best MicroFiber products and finally have the Zaino stamp of approval:)

BMW_FaNaTiC said:
ok, i dont get what u mean buff off the wax..

I dont own a buffing machine [:(]

And all this time i did wash with dawn dish soap.. sh!t thx for the advice

Name a good waxe product and a good car wash product :)
It means to take a towel and wipe off the wax after it has hazed over. Don't wash your car with Dawn dish soap anymore. Just go to your local mart and pickup any bottle of car wash soap and make sure it doesn't strip the wax (they will state that on the front or the back of the bottle). If you need a specific company, I like to use the Eagle One car wash soap for regular hand washes....good price, gets the job done.